Candles are safe when burned properly, responsibly and according to manufacturer directions. Nevertheless, it’s important to remember that a burning candle is an open flame, and thus a potential fire hazard if not monitored carefully.
- When burning candles, consumers should follow these basic safety rules:
- Keep lighted candles within your sight. Never leave a burning candle unattended.
- Never burn a candle on or near anything that can catch fire.
- Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets.
- Trim wicks to ¼ inch prior to each use.
- Keep candles away from drafts and vents.
- Always use an appropriate candleholder placed on a stable, heat-resistant surface.
- Read and follow all manufacturer instructions carefully